Making Every Day, World Animal Day
Whether they are covered in fur, scales or feathers, regardless of if they stand on two feet, four hooves, or slither on the ground, and it doesn’t matter if they moo, purr, oink, squeak, or chirp, October 4 is a big day for animals worldwide. Animals are an important part of our lives and World Animal Day is an appropriate occasion to celebrate their contribution to the world and the many roles they play in our lives.
So, what will you do this October 4th? Some choose to attend church for the Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals, and pray for endangered species. Others will be glued to YouTube to watch and re-watch the most popular cat videos from the past ten years and remember just how much joy their bring to our lives.
At Bayer, we are honoring world animal day by recognizing our colleagues around the world who are doing incredible things from supporting dogs who save lives in Cambodia to educating farmers on the dangers of heat stress in the Philippines. All in all, we are committed to making a difference in the well-being of animals – not just through scientific innovations, but also through awareness and collaborations with veterinarians, farmers and pet owners on well-being advancements.
Animal well-being encompasses physical, behavioral, and emotional aspects. Good animal well-being requires new approaches to effective disease prevention and veterinary treatment, as well as appropriate management, welfare, humane handling, nutrition and protection throughout each animal’s life. At Bayer, we are committed to ten key areas of animal well-being.
- Promote responsible use of veterinary medicines
- Improve pain and stress management
- Advance innovations that improve animal well-being
- Meet basic needs and ensure humane handling at all life stages
- Alleviate disease syndromes associated with livestock farming
- Enhance the understanding of housing practices that improve animal well-being
- Alleviate painful procedures
- Foster responsible pet ownership
- Mitigate the impact of zoonotic diseases (One Health)
- Support responsible breeding and breed selection
How do you contribute to animal well-being? Together, we can positively impact the lives of animals, the people who care for them, as well as the communities who depend on them. Read more about our contribution to animal well-being here.