Dairy Recipe - Milk Puddding Pie from Greece
We love dairy! In appreciation of dairy farmers & their cows around the world, we’re sharing favourite dairy recipes of some of our colleagues. First recipe comes from Angeliki Govila in Greece: Milk Pudding Pie, a traditional Greek pie called "Galatopita".
- 750 ml fresh milk
- 60 g fine semolina + extra for pan
- 20 g cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 60 g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 packet vanilla powder
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100 g honey
For the coating:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Heat the milk and sugar in a pot over low heat until the sugar melts. As soon as you see the first bubbles on the milks surface you will know it is ready. Remove from heat and stir mixture. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the semolina, cornstarch, eggs, salt, vanilla and lemon zest to create a paste.
- Add a cup of the warm milk and stir with a hand whisk until the mixture warms up a little. Then add it to the pot and stir.
- Put the pot back on heat. Mix with the hand whisk until the cream thickens. This may take a while so you will need to be patient.
- Make sure the heat is low because the cream can burn easily.
- When the cream thickens, remove from heat and add the chilled butter cubes. Stir gently until the butter melts and completely incorporated in the mixture.
- Add the honey and stir.
- Grease a 27 cm thick round baking dish and sprinkle with fine semolina.
- Pour the cream in.
For the coating:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle over the surface of the cream.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and set aside to cool. Cut into pieces. Dust with caster sugar and ground cinnamon and serve.
- If you would like a crunchier pudding pie, use a baking pan instead of a baking dish but you have to grease it very generously with butter and sprinkle it with fine semolina.
- If you want to make a double batch, use a 35-40 cm baking dish or pan.